12 May 2014

Babies Don't Keep



This boy is such a treasure. In just a few short months, Gryffen will be one whole year old and we will begin to leave babyhood behind. I have cherished all my babies, but this little one a bit more so as I have bittersweet-ly (that's a word, right?) come to realise just how quickly these snuggly, sweet-smelling times are passed by.



I'm so glad I've finally worked my priorities out right in time to enjoy it properly.

Song for A Fifth Child
by Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't [his] eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

* * *

I have that last stanza printed and hung on the wall in Gryffen's room. Every time I walk into his room with him I read it and stand a bit longer with him in my arms before I put him down into his bed. I've said it before and I'll say it again: these really are 'the good old days.' And I love them so much.

6 comments:

  1. beautiful Jess x well said xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. Thank you for the reminder. Our little ones would be good friends I'm sure - he's also a sweet little guy too! Thank you for reminding this mummy who focuses all-too-often on what needs to be done rather than who she is with x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true and so beautiful - so important to relish every minute! What a gorgeous wee boy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that last stanza (first time I'd heard this poem) :) Thanks for sharing! And your baby definitely has eyes the most wonderful hue! Love that last pic x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one gorgeous poem - oh that I had a fifth child to whisper that to! Lovely smile on your blue eyed boy too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!. I read and get warm fuzzies from each and every comment and will reply via email - as time and my wee babe allows!. xxx