24 January 2014

Dental Therapists and Pirate Teeth



This week I have taken the three 'big' kids (actually, at 5, 4 and 2, they're all still little) to see the dental therapist. You'll notice we don't use 'dental nurse' anymore. I wonder when that changed?

They were very brave. Even Tristan (2) sat on my lap and opened his mouth for inspection, with only a little bit of coaxing. Rosie was very excited and, while Elliot was still on the chair, kept asking, "When can I sit on the chair?" She looked very cute in her ladybug 'helmet.'

At 5 years old they take the first x-rays, and it turned out Elliot had a couple of little holes forming in between his teeth, where toothbrushes don't reach. Enter the Pirate Tooth!



While it looks obvious-ish in his mouth, I've decided that this is a very good way to go about dentistry in childhood. In a previous life (pre-children), I used to be a Dental Assistant, so I have witnessed at close quarters the fear and abject terror of grown adults as they walk into the dental surgery. Anything that cuts out drilling, scraping, mouths full of fingers and instruments, and painful injections in childhood is a good thing in my book. Perhaps we'll be raising a generation of children who don't fear going to the dentist because they haven't been subjected to painful experiences there.

It's tempting to feel embarrassed that MY kid is the one with a 'fake' tooth (It's still there in all it's glory, just under the crown.). Like I should be ashamed that I let my son's teeth get holes. But you know what? Baby teeth are soft, and we do everything teeth-related right. (Apart from sometimes forgetting to brush in the morning after breakfast. We can do that better.) Instead, I will be proud that we regularly get our children's teeth checked and act when action is needed. Go Mama, go! Save the teeth!

5 comments:

  1. Nothing to be embarassed about! I was scared of the dentist and missed out on my golden opportunity of free dentistry at high school and have to pay for it now (literally!). Going to the dentist and getting treatment(?) is highly commendable. Well done with such curious kiddos xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Mama for not creating fear in the kidlets
    I for one go into panic at the thought of entering a dentist (think that is more for my wallet tho)
    LOVE the named 'pirate tooth'

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have also had tooth dramas. We had to get Rubi's tooth extracted. Apparently the state of his teeth is not due to us (thanks goodness). It's genetic which is a relief x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strength and condition of teeth are hereditary I've heard! Sometimes there is just so much you can do so go you for doing all you can and creating a positive experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You probably have never heard of this before, and I don't want to make you regret your decision or anything, but... TEETH CAN BE FIXED! No, not with normal dentist visit type stuff. Tooth decay is caused by what we eat. You may be already eating a very healthy diet, (like we were) but things like phytates deplete your body of nutrients, and your teeth are the first place to suffer. Phytates are found in grains, legumes, seeds and nuts. You do not need to stop eating these altogether, you just need to prepare them differently - soaked rice, sour-dough bread, etc. There are also other things that help your teeth - I won't go any further, because you can find tons of information on this website here - http://www.curetoothdecay.com/Tooth_Decay/tooth_decay_overview.htm. There is also a facebook group that you can ask any questions on. I personally just requested the book on the website of our public library and got it about 2 weeks later. Easy as! I don't mean to offend you or anyone else by posting this comment. I was just so surprised when I first read about it myself, that I now can't help but share the word! ~ From someone who you don't know, but who randomly found your blog and loves it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!. I read and get warm fuzzies from each and every comment and will reply via email - as time and my wee babe allows!. xxx